Weeds, Sunburn and a Garden Fork

Realising what I had taken on, I soon endeavored to get busy with digging. The first chance I had I took a week’s leave from work and spent three days at the allotment. I was determined to prove the wife wrong – it was no big deal and wouldn’t take long to clear the forest of weeds….

I was, of course, the one in the wrong. After three solid days of digging each weed out with a garden fork, I had cleared 60% of only the larger section of the allotment. This was going to be an insurmountable task far beyond my initial expectations. Reinforcements were necessary and as luck would have it my closest friend announced a visit. I hadn’t the heart to explain quite the extent of the work required, however managed to convince him to agree to ‘a little light weeding’ at my allotment. Another two solid days of digging (with two of us) allowed the larger section of the plot to be weed-free. I felt triumphant! Job done! The allotment was ready for next year’s planting.

After days of digging out weeds by hand this was the progress.

After days of digging out weeds by hand this was the progress.

A final day allowed us to build in a pth around the edges to provide a defined space for planting and added a little more structure to the whole affair. This was not without its trials, however, as in the final moments of the task, I managed to stick a Stanley knife info the palm of my hand requiring a little glue and some stitches from the local minor injuries unit. Undeterred, we returned to the allotment to finish off.

I put in the paths with a patient and loyal friend! However the weeds were left for longer again (in my naivety I thought it would take a long time for them to grow back).

I put in the paths with a patient and loyal friend! However the weeds were left for longer again (in my naivety I thought it would take a long time for them to grow back).

Life, unfortunately got in the way, and this meant I did not find the time to visit until 3 months later. You can imagine my distress when I realised the one thing I hadn’t thought about at the time. The other part of the allotment was still covered in weeds. Weeds spread seeds. I had essentially created a perfect environment for the weeds to grow back with a vengeance…

In the autumn of 2012, the allotment was almost entirely covered in grass and weeds again. I should not have left it without working on it.

In the autumn of 2012, the allotment was almost entirely covered in grass and weeds again. I should not have left it without working on it.

Bugger…!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s